Sunday, June 21, 2015

What I've Gained After Losing My Father

For the past 5 years, Father's Day has been difficult. Every day of the year I think about and remember my father, but father's day reminds me he is gone.

I'm a lot like my dad, in more ways than I wish to be. I'm certainly stubborn and always know  (think) I'm right. I'm a little bit bossy and a lot type A. I need plans for structure and prefer to lead than follow. I'm a stickler for grammar and believe hard work will take you places.

However, along with remembering my dad, it's also a good day to remember the things he taught me and instilled in me - both when he was with us and after he is gone. Alomg with stubbornness comes perseverance. Because I need to be right, I'm eager to learn and thrive on knowledge. Plans mean I'm prepared, and hardwork equals hardwork.

After he died, I learned the importance of family, and those who are like your family. I know it's not only about achieving and accomplishing goals, but cherishing, living, and being in those moments in between. That's where life happens. And I gained that lesson just in time to be in each and every moment and milestone, big or small, as my daughter grows up.

Each and every day I wish my dad was here. The grief may live on, but resilience triumphs.

No comments:

Post a Comment