Sunday, February 3, 2013

Snow

I'm slowly starting to get used to the snow.

The first time it snowed this winter was Christmas Eve. I was so excited to see the snow, since I don't really remember ever seeing it, even though I lived in Connecticut until I was 5. I took pictures. I stood in it. I played with the dogs in it. My body didn't even feel the cold.

As the excitement died down, the cold overwhelmed me. While I think Florida is too hot, I wasn't quite prepared to go from 80 and 90 degree weather to 30 degree weather in a period of only a couple weeks. Brian would laugh at me as I put on two jackets, a hat, a scarf, and gloves to take the dogs for a walk, but it was better than feeling frozen.

However, nothing prepared me for driving in the snow.

Since the trucks drop off the salt stuff to keep the roads clear, the roads don't scare me-- maybe a little wet, but I've driven in bad rainstorms before, so that wasn't an issue. (I'm a very cautious driver in completely sunny weather, so I'm definitely a cautious driver in rain and snow.)

However, the sensation of feeling like you are going to run into these white balls that are headed straight for your car is something I had never experienced before. Although the logical part of my brain tells me that it's just a snowflake that will fall onto my car, the irrational part tells me that I can't possibly drive into something like that. I guess knowing the irrational thoughts is the first part of getting over it, right?

There were a few days where I was checking the weather and planning my trips to the grocery store, etc. when it wasn't supposed to snow. But slowly, I am coming to terms with the fact I know live in a state where it will snow in the winter and I will still need to run errands. I do think the snow is very pretty. Our dining room table is next to two doors with large windows overlooking our deck. Its very calming to look up from my computer and see the snow falling.

No comments:

Post a Comment